The scanners can prove to be highly essential for a car especially an obd2 scanner with live data. They are also known as EOBD scanners and are currently operational on most vehicles in the U.S. since 1996, EU countries since 2004, Canada since 1998, and Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand since 2006.
Different companies are manufacturing OBD2 scanners, and they all are not necessarily the same in quality. The best OBD2 scanners are known for diagnosing thousands of various automotive issues and problems.
There are two basic kinds of OBD2 scanners, one is handheld, and the other is wireless. Handheld scanners have their screen and a cable to plug into the car’s OBD port.
On the other end, wireless scanners plug into the port, and also you can connect to a smartphone or a tablet via Bluetooth.
Initially, you found OBD2 scanners rarely, but now it is a need for every car.
One by One ten best obd2 scanner with live data reviews
1. FOXWELL NT301
This OBD2 scanner is highly efficient in detecting engine fault codes, locating bad O2 sensors, turning off check engine light, access to emission readiness status, reading enhanced data, and resent monitoring.
It provides live data in the form of graphs as well as in text.
- It is pretty accurate in reading the error codes given in almost all the cars worldwide.
- Its unique and patented design, 2.8-inch screen with the free software update, and 1-year quality assurance warranty is one of its significant advantages.
- It is open to global customers.
- No battery is required. You can charge it from the OBD2 interface in the vehicle.
- It is not a regularly updated device, not even while connected to another device like on Computer.
- There are too many functions present on the menu that can sometimes leave the users frustrated.
- Lastly, the speed of the device also makes it hard to use. For instance, a user has complained about the long time it took to generate the code list.
2. Innova 3150RS OBD2 Scanner
It can identify the exact part that may be required for repair in a car. It can provide maintenance schedules and provides unlimited health reports to fulfill the needs of your vehicle.
Code diagnosis is highly effective s it reads and clears the engine. It is compatible with almost all the cars from 1996 till date.
It provides essential information about the vehicle’s general health in real-time, like its oil temperatures, RPM, etc., to efficiently use diagnosis.
- It provides essential information about the vehicle’s general health in real-time, like its oil temperatures, RPM, etc.
- The device has as many as 17 different versions, and it keeps on updating, giving good options to the users for exploring.
- Its diagnosis is so accurate and that the customers do not need to put in much effort.
- It is not easily compatible with different cars based upon the OBD2 protocols installed in them.
- The hardware itself could be made better and more protected for rough use by the consumers.
- This car is relatively quickly compatible with Asian and European vehicles. However, it should develop a compatibility checker for the users to cause them minimal damage.
3. NEXPEAK NX501 Car Code Reader
NEXPEAK NX501 is an advanced version of an OBD2 scanner as it detects the fault codes in the vehicles and finds out what caused those faults, such as what possibly caused the check engine light to go on. It helps in locating the bad O2 sensors.
It can also help gauge the battery’s health and give reminders when a battery needs to be changed. It is known to provide codes and erase the error codes as well accurately.
It has a 2.8 inch LCD screen that provides a user-friendly design with easy-to-use features on the device.
- It is considered to be the best in terms of stability as well as performance.
- Its diagnostic code scanner can gain access to OBD2 car diagnostics.
- It provides lifetime free support to the users for upgrading the service.
- There is built-in memory that can store data and provide copies of the data to be displayed on the computers.
- There are ten different modes that the scanner is making use of, alongside it can also auto analyze the data.
- It can also monitor the battery voltage and provide diagnostics on potentially how much power it is producing.
- It is considered an over-priced product as it provides the same features as any other $20 scanner that You will provide in the diagnostics of any particular vehicle.
- The scanner is also not compatible with Hybrid and Electric cars.
4. Autel MaxiAP AP200 Bluetooth Obd2 Scanner
Autel MaxpiAP Ap200 is known for its high compatibility with a vehicle having OBD2 protocols. There are various options available as this scanner is compatible with Androids, iPhones where You can download it for free.
It is different than other OBD2 scanners as it enables users to gain access to it on their smartphones. Moreover, its functions are not limited to OBD2 protocols, and they cover all the systems in a vehicle.
It also makes use of Bluetooth technology for connectivity purposes.
- It has a 12-month warranty on hardware if any material or any manufacturing defect causes.
- The software update is free for a lifetime.
- Its access to smartphones is a master selling point that most users might prefer as it provides convenience.
- The connection on the device is stable, and it is also easy to use for regular users.
- It is not compatible with IPads or Tablets, which makes it less attractive for tech-savvy people, and they would enjoy the scanner more if it had been available on more devices.
- It is not likely to be compatible with all the models of cars, and it may show some errors when operating on different smartphones.
5. LAUNCH OBD2 Scanner
Launch Creader is a Plug and Play OBD2 scanner. It does not require any additional battery or charger, and it only needs to be connected.
It features bi-directional special tests that enable users to apply EVAP, I/M readiness, O2 sensor, VIN info, etc., for auto shop and home mechanics.
This scanner is for those who do not need a device for reading codes on vehicles; it provides details on the tests run on car diagnostics. It is compatible with standard OBD2 cars, vans, and trucks worldwide.
- It has a 3-year quality assurance warranty and also provides an adequate user manual with different languages.
- It comes with a USB cable as it does not require any added battery or charger. It is ideal for beginners who can plug it in the vehicle and read or analyze data promptly.
- Its 2 PIDs graphing live data enables users to check the engine’s health and locate the bad sensors on the car.
- It is not easily compatible with all the cars found universally.
- Another low point is the lack of upgrades on the device that makes it out of date with so many options for OBD2 devices available in the marketplace.
6. EDIAG YA201 2021
Its latest 2021 version is considered an elite version with live data graphing. It is a code reader car diagnostic tool that has full functions to offer to the user. It has a playback Data Street and O2 sensor.
It also automatically produces auto vehicle information. It’s known for its advanced state-of-the-art hardware that has a colorful LCD as well.
- It comes with a five years warranty and also gives a lifetime free update for the device.
- You can use this OBD2 scanner on local and imported cars like light-duty trust, SUVs, minivans, etc., with a standard OBD2 protocol.
- It also comes in nine different languages.
- It has a nice LCD, but it does not automatically upgrade according to its users, even after plugging it into a computer.
- It is considered to be quite a basic version of an OBD2 scanner.
- It is also very minimal on details regarding providing diagnostics on the car faults like there are no detailed graphs or charts produced to do a comparative analysis in terms of car’s performance.
7. LAUNCH CRP123 OBD2 Scanner
Launch CRP 13 can perform complete detection of faults and damages in cars but only on its four central ECU systems, engine, SRS, and ABS transmission. It can read and erase fault codes in all these four systems.
It supports OBD2 tests with advanced mode by live data stream through graphs.
- In case of any quality issue, there is a guarantee of a total refund.
- There is a lifetime of free online updates on the scanner.
- It is compatible with Asian, American, and European cars, including Honda, Suzuki, Toyota, Mazda, Kia, Mitsubishi, Lexus, Subaru, GM, Ford, Chrysler, BMQ, Volvo, Opel, Jaguar, Fiat, Porsche, Audi, and many others.
- It comes with a 5-inch screen that provides adequate details on the car issue diagnosed through the scanner.
- It also comes with storage memory, where the data history is recorded.
- It is not easily compatible with different cars based upon the OBD2 protocols installed in them.
- Its lack of updates makes it difficult to use as the features that may be essential for vehicles often lack those because of an outdated diagnostic tool in place.
8. Fortunershop EOBD OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Live Data
It is an OBD2 reader that supports all nine test modes involved in all OBD2 compliant vehicles. It is helpful for home users as well as technicians working at workshops.
Its interface is somewhat more sophisticated, and it is easier to use as well. It is a handheld device that ensures easy access to engine-based fault codes detected in a vehicle.
- It can identify pending codes.
- It reads live PCM data streams.
- It has a bilingual user interface assisting in Spanish as well as in English.
- It supports all the OBD2 protocols supported by a vehicle.
- It inputs data into the computer, where it can get printed easily to use diagnostics and other purposes.
- Its limited compatibility with vehicles of different manufacturers and different year models as well.
9. Autel Scanner MaxiCOM MK808
It is considered to be the most versatile OBD2 diagnostic scanner in the marketplace. It is an ideal choice for professional mechanics.
It has 25+ service functions to offer, from Oil reset to Calibration to Battery registration, etc. It is known as a professional scanner in the automotive industry. Why it is best overall instead of price? Show more details about Autel Maxicom Mk808
- It can diagnose more than 80+ car makes and different models worldwide, from 1996 to onwards.
- The report generated from this device provides evidence of the nature of the fault.
- It proposes a plan for repair alongside the total budget mentioned as well.
- It has to offer plenty of different features to the user that sets it apart from another scanner.
- It has a touch screen with 32GB memory built-in that is focused upon generating diagnostic data at the earliest possible.
- It is a bit pricier than other scanners that make it less attractive to the individual users and
- It restricts its use for professionals in the field of automotive.
- The product may not be compatible with a few models, and its software is also required to get an update frequently, or else it will be rejected in most vehicles.
10. Autel OBDII (DIY Version of MD802)
This scan tool can gain access to every module within the system of a vehicle. It is considered a breakthrough diagnostic tool due to its customized versions available for complete system protection in cars.
The user is allowed to select and download the appropriate software on their own. It is also able to give diagnoses in a broader range of codes.
It is also known for supporting all ten modes of OBD2 protocols.
- From reading codes to erasing codes to providing live data streams, freeze frame, O2 Mon. Test, component test, enhance OBD2 tests and I/M readiness, the device offers all the functions.
- It also supports 10 modes of OBD2 protocols.
- It provides lifetime free software update to the user, and the scanner is easily compatible with PCs to produce printouts.
- The device frequently provides errors in performing different functions.
- One has to pay for each software based upon the car make. You cannot apply it to another vehicle at a single time.
- Its price is a bit exorbitant for the features it is providing.
What to looks at before buying an obd2 scanner with live data
An ideal OBD2 scanner can turn off the check engine light and cut down extra costs on repairs altogether. It is a pretty helpful article to keep in your glove compartment as it is considered highly critical to ensuring the health of your vehicle.
A scanner is effective if it can tap into the vehicle’s ECU and gain access to the diagnostics data. It will gauge the problem or issue in the car and provide appropriate information to deal with it effectively.
Moreover, an OBD2 scanner should offer deeper diagnostics information into the vehicle’s engine and other systems. An OBD2 scanner helps provide information to the users if they want to go to an auto service center or a repair shop.
OBD2 scanners also should be able to provide timely information to introduce the necessary repairs at the right time. There are different OBD2 scanners available in the market with additional features, size, setup, warranty, ease of use, and most importantly, its price.
OBD2 scanners provide diagnostic information in different makes and different models of vehicles. The ideal OBD2 scanner is the one that is of great value to you money-wise and also is compatible with your vehicle’s make and model.
The best OBD2 scanner is Innova CarScan Pro 5210. Based upon its large display and it can identify exact parts that may be required for repair in a car, it can provide maintenance schedules and provides unlimited health reports to fulfill your vehicle’s needs.
How does an OBD2 scanner work?
OBD2 scanners are using for diagnosing problems and faults in cars. It was developed in 1996, and the U.S. government made it mandatory for every new vehicle to have it installed.
There are different sensors in a car, engine knock sensors, oxygen sensors, manifold pressure sensors, etc.
Each sensor sends a signal to the internal Computer of a car, known as the ECU Engine Control Unit. The ECU gets information from the sensors. If it cannot assess the code, it is saved in the Diagnostic trouble code (DTC).
You can find the ECU codes that are saved and can be diagnosed with an OBD2 scanner. The scanner is connected to a port, scanners can get codes from different sensors in real-time, and it can provide diagnostic information accordingly.
You May like: How to Use an Obdii scanner?
How to Read Live Data From OBD II Scan Tools?
The data from OBD2 scan tools are in the form of codes. The code is usually made of a letter that is later followed by four digits. The first digit tells you whether the code is general or manufacture-specific.
Mostly all the codes are international and apply to different manufacturers. The second digit reflects which sub-system is affected. The final two numbers tell about the particular problem.
Mostly a guide is given with the scanner tools to understand better the codes and the issues they may have.
How we test the OBD2 scanner with live data?
An OBD2 scanner that is providing live data, allows you to view the vehicle sensor, relay, and switch inputs in real-time while the engine is still on. Live data helps in providing diagnosis on the components that have potential problems within the vehicle.
What is the best OBD2 scanner?
An ideal OBD2 scanner can turn off the check engine light and also cut down extra costs on repairs. The best OBD2 scanner currently is Innova CarScan Pro 5210 based upon its large display and it can identify exact parts that may be required for repair in a car, it can provide maintenance schedules and provides unlimited health reports to fulfill the needs of your vehicle.
Why Best Obd2 Scanner With Live Data Needed?
It can help identify the issue while the engine is still on.
Should I get a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner?
A Bluetooth OBD2 scanner will let you view the diagnostic information on your smartphones and other digital devices with Bluetooth like laptops and Personal Computers as well.
What is the best OBD2 reader that provides the most real-time data?
Innova 3150RS OBD2 Scanner is highly recommended as it provides essential information about the vehicle’s general health in real-time like its oil temperatures, RPM, etc. Its diagnosis is so accurate and to the point that the customers do not really need to put in much effort.
Where is my vehicle’s OBD II port?
OBD2 port is usually under the dashboard below the steering wheel column.
Which OBD2 scanner is compatible with my vehicle?
All cars, SUVs, and trucks that were manufactured and sold in the U.S. after 1996, were required to be equipped with OBD2. When you purchase any OBD2 scanner, its compatibility is stated for the consumer’s clarity.
What PC requirements are essential for running my OBD2 scanner?
OBD-II interface kit is software that you can install on your PC to make it compatible with the scanners.
Innova CarScan Pro 5210 is a useful OBD2 device in comparison with the rest. Its large display makes it easier for the users to read different codes, and it is highly effective in identifying an exact part that may be required for repair in a car.
It can also provide maintenance schedules and provides unlimited health reports to fulfill the needs of your car.
Moreover, this OBD2 scanner includes essential information about the vehicle’s general health in real-time, like its oil temperatures, RPM, etc.
The device has as many as 17 different versions, and it keeps on updating, giving good options to the users for exploring. Its diagnosis is so accurate and that the customers do not need to put in much effort.
As a mechanical engineer, it’s easy for David to explain the functionality of the tool. David test most of the tools before writing a review. its help him to learn something new and suggest the best product for you.